September - 2017
M T W T F S S
  01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23
25 26 27 28 29 30  

Corvinus University of Budapest

 

1857 – teaching of Economics begins in Hungary

1920 – the Faculty of Economics is established within the frame of the Royal Hungarian University

1948 – the Hungarian University of Economic Sciences is established

1953 – the university is renamed: Karl Marx University of Economic Sciences

1991 – the university is renamed Budapest University of Economic Sciences

2000 – College of Public Administration is integrated into the university and it is renamed Budapest        University of Economic Sciences and Public Administration

2004 -   the former University of Horticulture is integrated into the university and it is renamed Corvinus   University of Budapest

2007 -   the New Building is finished and the university starts to use it from September

2012 – the Faculty of Public Administration is integrated into the National University of Public Service, so Corvinus’s Faculties “drop” to 6.

 

 

THE UNIVERSITY’S MAIN BUILDING

 

The building was designed by Miklós Ybl in 1874. Ybl (1814 – 1891) was one of the greatest Hungarian architects of the 19th century. He graduated from a polytechnic in Vienna, then worked with Mihály Pollack and Henrik Koch. In the 1840-s he made a study trip to Münich and Italy. He took an active part in the building of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences but was never elected to be a member. His most important work: the Hungarian National Opera on Andrássy Avenue. His other works include: the church on Bakáts square, Szent István basilica (finished by József Kauser), Várkert kiosk and bazaar, Károlyi Castle in Parádsasvár (thermal bath), Zichy castle in Várpalota and numereous other castles, mansions, residential buildings.

 

What is today the Main Building was originally a Customs Office. The stones and marble needed for the building were brought here on boats and ships partly from within Hungary, but also from Carrara. The construction was finished on May 1, 1874. Its size: > 9500 square meters. The façade reflects Italian and Viennese samples. The Danube façade has allegorical statues of gods representing the railway, steam boats, painting and sculpture. On the southern façade (Market Hall side): the traditional Hungarian professions, and reliefs depicting the four corners of the earth.

 

Originally, the building housed four different and separate offices – the Customs Office (its location was ideal as the building is located right on the Danube bank, the Financial Directorate of Pest, the Central Price Directorate, and the Mining Products Directorate.

 

During WWII the building was used as an air-raid shelter. It was seriously damaged between December, 1944 and February 13, 1945. Both the German and the Soviet army used is an important army base due to its location.

 

Following WWII there were discussions on whether it would be worthwhile to rebuild it, and it was only after much debate that a positive decision was taken. Already at the time of the reconstruction it was decided that in the future the building would house the Hungarian University of Economics. Teaching started in the 1950/1951 academic year.

 

The building underwent a large reconstruction in 1980, and a second reconstruction phase in 1989/1990, when much of the original architectural elements were replaced.

Last modified: 2016.07.28.